
One post from 2010 that didn't get written was the passing of my Great-grandmother Evelyn. I guess I didn't know how to begin and was afraid I wouldn't due justice to her memory.
We called her GG, for Great-grandma. What a blessing it has been to have her in my life, my grandmother's mother. A constant. Someone always there to give love and to give compliments about how good you look in a certain outfit, "Of course, you would look gorgeous in a gunny sack." she would say.
She loved gardening and flowers and all things beautiful. Timeless. She was a classy lady. Never having to have the fanciest things the world could offer but always doing the best with what she had. And never being idle. She always made time for others.
She was 95 yrs old when she died and just two weeks before had been up and around. The week before she had needed care 24/7 and for a few hours I relieved my mom and grandma and got a priceless last visit with her. We talked about just a few things since she was so tired. We spoke of the uncertainty of death and how she was nervous and I told her that I needed her on the other side to whisper good things in the ears of my children especially when they get to be teenagers, since I am pretty sure they are not going to be listening to me. She seemed to like that idea and settled back into sleep. A few days later she just slipped into greater and greater unresponsiveness. My mom and grandma and I were there together making plans and enjoying each others company. It was time for meds and my mom and I started debating whether or not to give any to her. During this debate my grandma went in to check on GG and came out and said, "Ladies, I think we are done here." So we went into her room and sure enough she was gone. I cried. I could only think of the wonderful reunion I expected her to be having. With the husbands she lost, with the baby she lost. With all the family and friends that went before her. To be free from the worry of this life and that very old body that caused her so much pain.
Because of her I want to be a better person and I know how to be a better person because of her example. I don't think you can leave a better legacy than that.
I love and miss you GG. I hope you will whisper good things in my ear, too.
3 comments:
Mandi that was a such a sweet post. I'm sorry for your loss, I hadn't heard.
I'm sure she'll be whispering lots of good things.
I too am sorry for your loss. Here I am blabbering like a baby and I never even knew her! She sounds like an amazing lady and reminds me a little bit of Grandma Sanders. Thank you for this beautiful post.
I LOVE that picture. What a treasure to have. It sounds like she lived a great life and how lucky you were to know her so well.
Post a Comment