Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Patriotic Fun

My Aunt lives on the parade route for the Draper parade. It is a favorite tradition to get there early where breakfast is waiting and then watch the parade. I don't know how long my Aunt Norma has lived in her house but I know this tradition has been going on since my mom was young.
For years when I was a kid my dance group was in the parade and we always waved to the family as they sat and watched. I will have to find some pictures of then and now.

Anna dressed up as a pioneer.


The girls decorated their bike and scooter for the ward children's parade.


For pack meeting in July they had a special presentation by a member in our ward who was in the Air Force and then they talked about the correct way to retire a flag. The flag they retired wasn't flown over a great battlefield or in honor of a fallen serviceman, it just flew in someone's yard until it was worn and faded. And the people who retired it were not decorated military officials. It was done with the utmost reverence and honor by pack of cub scouts in a vacant lot. The only sound that could be heard was the crackling of the fire as those young boys lowered the flag into the fire and saluted it in silence until it was fully burned. Oh, how I love this country. It was a great spiritual experience.

No comments: